Patrice La Vigne has wanted to be a writer since her preteens when she begged her local newspaper for an opportunity to contribute (and it worked!). Armed with a shiny English degree, her eclectic writing career spans newspapers, healthcare businesses, and medical publications for consumers. For the past 10+ years, she’s found her niche in the outdoor industry with bylines in Backpacker, Adventure.com, Outdoor Life and Alaska Magazine.
She is also the author of Between Each Step: A Married Couple’s Thru Hike on New Zealand’s Te Araroa. Living an unconventional life alongside her husband—including embracing the van life thing before it was cool—she’s backpacked 6,000+ miles and road-tripped across America 40+ times. Since 2019, she’s been leaning into her homebody and introvert inclinations by settling down in Alaska, just outside of Denali National Park and Preserve.
Freelance writing is still her steadfast anchor, but she channels her passion for outdoors as a hiking guide in the summer and shares the opportunity to experience Denali by managing a few Airbnbs, including her cozy yurt outside the national park.
● Topics of expertise: Gear Reviews, Travel Narratives, Personal Stories
● Years of experience in these topics: 10 years specifically in these genres, but 25+ years
● Favorite topic to write about: Personal Stories
● Favorite piece of gear you’ve ever tested: I can’t think of just one, but I love testing
backpacking food because that black hole of brands/types seems endless, and I love
nothing more than discovering new ways to stay fueled on my adventures.
● Favorite travel destinations: Anywhere I haven’t been for new discoveries!
Education and Experience
● Education: B.A. in English and Spanish
Certifications: American Medical Writers Association Editing/Writing Certification, Leave
No Trace Master Educator, Wilderness First Responder
● Books or other publications: Between Each Step: A Married Couple’s Thru Hike on New
Zealand’s Te Araroa
● Other place you write for: Alaska Magazine, Outdoor Life and Adventure.com
About the Writer
● Location (city/state): Healy, Alaska
● Places You’ve Lived or Extensively Traveled: I’ve lived in 14 different states, and spent 4
months walking across New Zealand
● Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
● Follow Patrice on Instagram or at her website, wanderinglavignes.com